Celebrate international waffle day with these delicious gluten and dairy free waffles. Accompanied with a warm berry compote and toasted flaked almonds, these protein packed waffles make an excellent healthy breakfast treat or dessert.
Makes 4 large waffles
- 2 eggs
- 275ml Almond Milk
- 60g xylitol
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 150g buckwheat flour or gluten free flour mix
- 50g rice flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 300g frozen mixed berries
- 1tbsp xylitol, optional
- Handful of toasted flaked almonds
- Place the eggs, milk, xylitol and oil in a blender or food processor and process until combined. Add the flour and baking powder and beat to form a thick batter.
- Ladle the batter into a waffle iron and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Meanwhile place the berries and xylitol if using in a pan and warm through for 5 minutes until soft.
- Serve the waffles with the berries and flaked almonds
(Recipe courtesy of Christine Bailey award winning nutritional therapist)