Serves: 6-8 Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 cups (300g) diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- 6 cups peeled and cubed carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 680 ml vegetable broth
- 400ml canned coconut milk
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil and sauté the onions, garlic for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots, cumin, coriander, and chili powder, and sauté for a further 2 minutes until the carrots are evenly coated.
- Add the vegetable broth, and the remaining ingredients, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, add the coconut milk and simmer, partially covered, for about 20 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Blend the soup with a handheld blender until smooth and creamy.
- Season to taste, and warm the soup over medium-low heat.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with fresh coriander