Start the New Year with this hearty healthy stew that will keep you warm and satisfied on the coldest of winter days. Good health starts with what you put on the end of your fork. Kale is among some of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Loaded with powerful antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber it will boost up your immune system helping you to fight off those winter bugs.
Ingredients / Serves 8-10
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 5 clove garlic, sliced
- 3 sticks of celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp hot paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tins of cherry tomatoes
- 2 tins of butter or cannellini beans, drained
- 5L chicken stock
- 4 bay leaves
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium bag of chopped kale (180g)
- salt and pepper
- In a large heavy bottomed casserole dish or large sauce pan, heat the oil and brown the chicken pieces in batches for a few minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add a little more oil if needed and sauté the onions, garlic, celery and carrots for 6-8 minutes until softened, add both paprika and the cayenne and cook for a minute or two, with a splash of water if it looks like catching on the bottom.
- Add the chicken, and toss to coat, then add tomatoes, beans, stock, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, add the peppers and kale and cook for a further 10 minutes until tender.
- Season to taste, scatter with parsley and serve.
Recipe: Amelia Freer, Nutritional Therapist